• Blog >
  • Pet Toxic Ingestions
RSS Feed

Pet Toxic Ingestions

A variety of plants, chemicals, foods, and other items found in your home can be toxic to pets. That's why pet owners need to understand what is poisonous to their animals and the signs of a toxic ingestion. If your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, our team at Village Vet Baltimore Animal Hospital is here to help in these dire situations. We offer emergency vet care when your pet needs it most.

Common Toxins Pets May Ingest

Cats and dogs are naturally curious creatures. There are a number of poisonous items that pets may eat, especially if the item is within their reach. Some of the most common toxins that your pet may ingest include:

  • Pesticides
  • Human foods, such as chocolate, onions, and grapes
  • Household plants, such as hyacinths, poinsettias, and azaleas
  • Human medications, including over-the-counter medications
  • Antifreeze
  • Household cleaners, such as bleach

Signs of Pet Toxic Ingestions

Some of the symptoms may mimic the symptoms of other health-related issues, such as a viral infection or allergic reaction. However, if you notice that your pet is vomiting, frothing at the mouth, or lethargic, it is critical that you take it to our emergency vet clinic immediately. In some situations, your pet may not show signs of toxic ingestion until a few hours after it has ingested the poison. Other common symptoms of toxic ingestion include excessive drooling, gagging, diarrhea, blood in the stool, loss of coordination, paralysis, shaking, seizures, yellow or pale gums, irregular heartbeat, and drinking a substantial amount of water but refusing to eat.

Contact Our Professional Veterinary Team in Baltimore Today 

If you visually see your pet ingest something poisonous, call the veterinarian right away to let them know what the substance was. Your veterinarian will let you know if you should induce vomiting or if you should bring them directly to our clinic. In some situations, vomiting can make the situation worse, so be sure to ask the vet before inducing vomiting.

If you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, call Village Vet Baltimore Animal Hospital in Baltimore right away to find out how to proceed.